The catacombs of Commodilla are the catacombs of Rome, located in Via delle Sette Chiese, not far from the Via Ostiense, in the Ostiense district.
The analysis of the artifacts discovered in the hypogeum lead to the catacombs date after the middle of the fourth century, while other features make it back to the beginning of the fourth century; also shares the same passion given the martyrdom of Felice and Adautto in the last years of life of ’emperor Diocletian (284-305): this suggests that the pozzolana quarry was used in part as a burial place already before its closure and its transformation into a graveyard (ie in the second half of the fourth century). The catacombs were used for burials until the sixth century.
Later, as happened to other Christian underground cemeteries, it was transformed into a place of worship of martyrdom: restoration of the basilica underground were made by several popes until the ninth century, a sign that the catacombs were still at that time a place of pilgrimage of devout Christians. There were also found coins bearing the effigy of Pope Gregory IV (827-844) Pope Leo IV (847-855) finally gave the relics of the martyrs Felix and Adautto the wife of Emperor Lothair. Following the catacombs were abandoned and fell into oblivion.
It was discovered in 1595 by archaeologist Antonio Bosio, but the first to identify it as that of Commodilla was in the nineteenth century, Giovanni Battista de Rossi. Restoration campaigns were performed at the beginning of the twentieth century and led to the complete excavation of the second level cemetery (the ancient pozzolana quarry).
[box type=”info” color=”#FFF” bg=”#faa82a” font=”times” border=”#7a181d” head=”Information and Addresses” headbg=”#7a181d” headcolor=”#FFF”]Address: Via delle Sette Chiese, 42
Visiting Hours: from 9.00 to 21.00
Price: not reached