ROME MUSEUM OF THE ARGENTINA THEATRE
(MUSEO DEL TEATRO ARGENTINA)
The City of Rome bought it in 1869 from the Torlonia family, the theatre Argentina has always been themost important theatre in Rome. It dates from the first half of the Eighteenth century, it was built in 1731 upon the wish of Duke Giuseppe Sforza Cesarini from the drawings of Girolamo Theodoli by Paolo Cappelletti and Nicola Zagaglia, the heads of the mechanical craftsmen from St Peter’s.
It was entirely built in wood, with the exception of the boundary walls and the staircase which are in masonry.
The theatre consisted of a horseshoe shaped hall for obvious reasons of visibility and acoustics, with stalls and boxes.
There were forty rows of benches separated by the backs of other benches following the shape of the room.
The one hundred and eighty six boxes were disposed in six orders bearing a rather simple pictorial decoration on the window-sills.
These together with the stuccoes and the gilding of the proscenium and children bearing festoons painted on the ceiling, were the simple decoration of the hall. Since then the theatre has been subject to several interventions of maintenance and restoration.
The structural modernization at the end of the 1960 to ensure the continuing life of the building are of particular relevance. In 1913. on the occasion of further refurbishment, by initiative of Professor Cecilia Pericoli Ridofini the City promoted the creation of the Museum of the Argentina Theatre.
It is located in the two halls of the attic, the Museum aims to document the history of the theatreitself.following an itinerary in three sections.
The topographical one concerns the history of the district where the theatre was established. “Argentina” derives from the Latin name (Argentoratum, the present Strasbourg) of the city of birth of Johannes Burckhardt, the famous papal Master of Ceremonies who had incorporated the neighboring medieval tower in his residence.
The second section, the richest, exhibits objects related to the original theatre, like fragments of the canvass (Nineteenth-Twentieth century), pieces of wall decorations coming from the ground floor of the theatre (Twentieth century), the final cardboard of the lost curtain and preparatory drawings for the equally lost curtain of the Apollo theatre by Cesare Fracassini, a caricature by N. Zagaglia, works by P. L. Grezzi and the large wheel used in Nineteenth century to raise the curtain and scenes.
The third and last section illustrates the life of the theatre from the opening performance of January 31st 1732 dedicated to the musical drama “Berenice”, through sketches, playbills and photographic documents relating to the permanent companies of actors of the theatre (the “Dramatic Company of Rome” and the “New Dramatic Company of the Teatro Argentina).
It is also possible to see an ancient truss in the museum.
This the only left of the eight built in 1731 as part of the ancient cover of the theatre and saved from the several restorations to be an example of the Eighteenth century constructive technique. (mm)
Information and Addresses
Address Largo di Torre Argentina
Visiting Hours Tuesday – Friday from 9.00 am to 2.00 pm and from 1.00 pm to 5.00 pm; Sunday from 9.00 am to 2.00 pm
Telephone 06 67106018/7
Price € 3,00; concessions € 1,50
[gravityform id=”33″ name=”Form Personalizzato Tour – Inglese ” title=”false” description=”false”]