Comunale Gallery of the modern and Contemporary Art
( Galleria Comunale d’Arte Moderna e Contemporanea )
The gallery was inaugurated in January 1995.lt houses the works of the municipal collection datable from 1883 to 1945 and is based in the former seventeenth-century convent of the barefooted Carmelites connected to the sixteenth-century Church of S. Giuseppe a Capo le Case.
The collection was started in 1883 when the City of Rome purchased several works of historical and genre theme at the International Exhibition. The first display of the collection, which had been enriched with other paintings, took place in 1925 in the rooms of the Palazzo Caffarelli.
The gallery was temporarily closed in 1938 and was reopened in 1963 in the halls of the Palazzo delle Esposizioni in Via Nazionale and again closed with the contextual transfer of the works to Palazzo Braschi.
In the existing arrangement that is organized on three floors of the abovementioned former convent, the galleryhouses more than four thousand works by important artists mostly Italian from XIX and XX centuries.
Some of the works on display: the great triptych on a table by Giulio Aristide Sartorio called ”Le vergini savie e le vergini stolte” datable between 1890 and 1891 and the most radiant landscape “Carri di fieno a Terracina” from 1923; the two oil paintings by Giacomo Balla “The doubt” and “Portrait of Nathan” (politician and mayor of Rome), both of inspiration and relevant to the early production of the artist.
The futurist movement is represented in several works by Fortunato Depero “Polenta a fuoco duro” (1924-1926), Enrico Trampolini ”La bullfight” (1929-1930) and “Sailor in space” (1934), with a clear study on the dynamics and decomposition of color.
The first nucleus of the so-called Roman School -movement of clear expressionist definition – is represented on the other hand by the works of Scipione including his “11 Cardinal Decano” from 1930 and of Mario Mafai exhibited with the painting “Demolizione in Via Giulia” from 1936.
The still life genre is represented by such works as that by Filippo De Pisis with fish and bottle from 1925 and that by Giorgio Morandi from 1932 with oil on canvas, together with three others painted by the same artist using the technique of etching on copper in the thirties.
Giorgio De Chirico is represented by a single oil painting portraying a “Contest of Gladiators” (1933-1934), while his brother Antonio Savinio is exhibited with the representation of Autumn from 1934 in oily tempera on canvas.
There is a self-portrait from 1937 by Sicilian painter Renato Guttuso, Mario Sironi is represented with an oil painting entitled “The family” from 1927, the many sculptures on display include the “Bust of a Lady” (1907) and “Tete au nez casse,” (1913) in bronze by Auguste Rodin, the “Portrait of Anna Gemito” (1886) in terracotta and clay, the “Bust of Cesare Correnti” (1878) in plaster and the big “Horse” (1920-1926) in wood by Vincenzo Gemito.
Address Via Francesco Crispi, 24
Visiting Hours Closed until autumn 2008 Telephone 06 4742848 – 4742909; Fax 06 4742912