Excubitorium of The Seventh Cohort

Cloaca Maxima
24 January 2014
Fidenae
24 January 2014

Excubitorium of The Seventh Cohort

Rome located 8 meters below current ground level, this was uncovered in 1865-66, during one of the several 19th century excavations performed to recover works of art in the area in front of Piazza S.Crisogono, which has now disappeared in the most recent replanting of the neighborhood.

The use of the rooms uncovered became immediately apparent right from the start of the excavation, given the large quantity of graffiti on the walls, repeatedly mentioning the Seventh Cohort of Vigiles. (Firemen)

It was therefore possible to identify the building as an excubitorium, or guard-house, which came into being towards the end of the 2nd century AD on the premises of a private house bought or rented by the public authorities. The monument consists of a large hall containing a hexagonal pool with concave sides in the middle.

In front of this, on the south wall, is an elegant arched door which leads into the lararium, a kind of shrine tothe guardian spirit of the vigiles, the Genius excubitorii, mentioned in graffiti which has now disappeared.

Address Via della VII Coorte, 9

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *