Palazzo Santa Chiara, former Teatro Rossini, is located in one of the most beautiful areas of central Rome, Piazza di Santa Chiara, between Largo di Torre Argentina and the Pantheon.
It is housed in a building dating back to the mid-seventeenth century and was built on the site where a Dominican house once stood. In one of its rooms, Saint Catherine of Siena lived and died in 1380.
In 1873 the property owner institution, the Archconfraternity of Santissima Annunziata, granted a part of the Palace to some Roman entrepreneurs. The palace became a theater for the work of Virgilio Vespignani, inaugurated on February 7, 1874 with a performance of the famous Adelaide Ristori, the presence of the future Italian Royal Family, the highest city authorities and members of the aristocracy. The chroniclers of the time wrote:
“It’s a very elegant little theater”.
In August 2008 a new chapter of the theater’s life begins: the entrepreneur Gustavo Cuccurullo takes over the management and, with a radical restoration both aesthetic and functional, and makes Palazzo Santa Chiara one of the most beautiful and prestigious theaters for events in our country.