ROME VILLA OF THE QUINTILI ( VILLA DEI QUINTILI )
ON THE ANCIENT APIAN WAY IN ROME
Purchased from the heirs of the Torlonia family in 1985, the Villa of the Quintili is one of the most archeologically abundant areas and one of the most extensive villas on the outskirts of Rome.
The initial excavations of the villa took place in the last quarter of the 18th century, when Pope Pius VIsponsored a series of investigations with a view to enriching the Pio-Clementino Museum.
These excavations yielded works of art such as the “Braschi Venus“, the Children with the Goose, busts of philosophers and emperors, columns of marble from the East and Africa, entire mosaic floors and precious wall and floor coverings in colored pieces of marble.
Since 1797 the history of the villa has been associated with the Torlonia family, who launched systematic excavations of the area under various architects from 1828 onwards.
The area which can presently be visited extends from the Via Appia Nuova to the Via Appia Antica, which was the original entrance.
The most private spaces for family and staff stretched back to the current Via Appia Nuova, looking over the open countryside and the Statuario valley and featuring crypto portici, service areas and small bath houses built on terraces, creating a remarkable effect which has finally been partially recovered.
The most imposing structures belong to the baths sector.
At the entrance on Via Appia Nuova there is a visitors centre and a small museum has been set up in the former stables of the modern farmhouse, displaying interesting findings from excavations which took place in the early decades of the 20th century.
Information and Addresses
Address Via Appia Nuova, 1092
Visiting Hours Every day from 9.00 am to an hour before sunset Closed Monday
Price € 6,00; concessions € 3,00